If you’re a Sky TV customer, keeping your Sky box updated is crucial for optimal performance and access to the latest features. Whether you have a Sky+ HD box or a Sky Q box, this guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to update your device.
Understanding the Need for Updates
Regular updates to your Sky box can enhance functionality, fix bugs, and add new features. Sky periodically releases updates for both Sky+ HD and Sky Q boxes, making it essential to stay on top of these changes.
Checking if Your Sky Box Needs an Update
To start, you need to check if an update is available:
- For Sky+ HD: Press’ Services’ on your remote, then select ‘Settings’ and ‘System Details’ to see your current software version.
- For Sky Q: Go to ‘Settings’, then ‘System Info’, and check ‘Software Version’.
Compare this with the latest version on Sky’s official website.
Preparing for the Update
- Ensure a stable broadband connection.
- Maintain power supply to your Sky box.
- Choose a time when you’re less likely to use the TV, as the update may take some time.
Updating Sky+ HD Box
Sky+ HD boxes typically update automatically, but you can also update manually if needed.
- Sky+ HD boxes usually update overnight. Leave your box on standby (not off at the mains) for automatic updates.
- Turn off the Box: Turn off your Sky+ HD box at the mains.
- Restart and Enter Download Mode: Press and hold the ‘backup’ button on the box. While holding, turn the power back on. Release the button when the lights on the box turn on.
- Wait for the Update: Your TV should display ‘Updating System Software’. The update can take up to 10 minutes.
Updating Sky Q Box
Sky Q boxes are designed to update automatically, and manual updates are typically not required.
- Automatic Updates: Ensure your Sky Q box is connected to broadband and left on standby mode overnight.
- Software Check: Occasionally check the ‘Software Version’ in ‘System Info’ to confirm your box is up to date.
Troubleshooting and Tips
- Sky+ HD: If the update doesn’t start, retry the manual update steps.
- Sky Q: If your box doesn’t update, restart it and check the connection to your broadband.
Whether you own a Sky+ HD or a Sky Q box, keeping your device updated is critical to a seamless viewing experience. By following the appropriate steps for your specific box, you can ensure you’re always up-to-date with Sky’s latest software, features, and improvements.
Q: Do updates for Sky+ HD and Sky Q boxes differ significantly?
A: Yes, they do. The Sky+ HD box often requires manual updating if automatic updates haven’t occurred, whereas the Sky Q box is designed to update automatically without the need for manual intervention.
Q: Will updating my Sky box affect my saved recordings and settings?
A: Generally, no. Both Sky+ HD and Sky Q updates are designed to retain your saved recordings and personalized settings. However, checking your recordings and settings after an update is always a good idea.
Q: Can I watch TV while my Sky box is updating?
A: Using your Sky box during an update is not recommended. For both Sky+ HD and Sky Q, the box should ideally be in standby mode and not used during the update process.
Q: How long does it typically take to update a Sky box?
A: For both Sky+ HD and Sky Q, the update process usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes. However, it may vary based on the update size and your broadband speed.
Q: What should I do if my Sky box doesn’t restart after an update?
A: If your Sky box doesn’t restart normally following an update, try unplugging it from the mains for a few minutes before plugging it back in. If the issue persists, contact Sky customer support for further guidance.
Regular updates are essential for the smooth functioning of your Sky TV service, be it a Sky+ HD or a Sky Q box. Staying updated ensures you have the latest features and an enhanced viewing experience. Following the steps in this guide will help you manage your Sky Box updates effectively and with ease.